Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Deer Crossing!

When we first started talking about our cycling plans with friends, and we told them that we were starting up north and riding south, the most common response was, "Good.  It should all be downhill, then."  If only that were true.  Unlike last year, when we got to take turns driving the truck and had a chance now and then to rest our legs, this year we only took one day off.  So although the terrain last year was more challenging, the ride itself was more challenging this year.  At 362 miles, this was my longest trip yet.

Our last segment of the Mackinaw City to Osseo trip was an easy 43 miles from Marshall to the house in perfect weather.  Maybe the fact that we could see the finish line made it easier, or maybe it was the fact that when you get to the southern part of lower Michigan, the world flattens out.  Or maybe the fact that the temperatures were in the 40's when we left Marshall this morning provided some extra incentive to move.  Whatever the reason, we were able to end with a perfect ride.  I didn't even get clobbered by the deer David startled.  It ran toward the road instead of away from it... mostly toward me.  I hit the brakes and watched it bound across the road in front of me.  Throughout the trip I'd had visions of something like this happening with more horrible consequences.  Kind of like this guy riding his bike in Africa (really -go ahead and watch this, it's only 12 seconds):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXIYDVahdG0

My history with road kill is less than comforting, so when I'm speeding downhill at 30 + mph, and the road is lined with trees, I get a little paranoid.

Other than multiple deer sightings, there wasn't much to note today.  No crazy old guys gossiping in a country store (I think this was the original "blog"), no Lions superfans overdecorating their yards, no goats on playground equipment, and no lost shoes.  We did find an unexpected bike trail, which we rode part of the way into Homer, but otherwise, it was just a peaceful ride through flat farmland. Riding bikes for 362 miles may not have been relaxing in itself, but the result was. We felt wonderful at the end of each day knowing we'd met the challenge we'd set for ourselves.  By the end of the trip, it was clear that we had left behind the stress of the year and returned home with clear minds.

One of the first things I did (because women are like this) was step onto the scale when I got home.  362 miles, and no weight loss?  It seems unfair.  But I do feel stronger and healthy, and I think that counts for a lot. I'll keep riding. Even the hardest days on a bike are valuable experiences. They make you a little stronger, a little wiser, and hopefully a little humbler.  Go challenge yourself. Just watch out for cars, deer, and lost soles.  Life is good.

Some nice cranes hanging out together in a field.
Up close, they're probably as tall as I am.

An unexpected paved bike trail





1 comment: