Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Being Flexible... Or Not

A few people have told me that after reading this blog, they were inspired to go ride their bikes. This makes me wonder whether they really read any of the blog or not or if maybe some of my friends are just not critical readers. Maybe it's me. Perhaps I've done something to glorify getting lost in sketchy places where the residents have domesticated dangerous, prehistoric animals. Or getting stranded with a flat tire in freezing, torrential rains.. Or fighting headwinds up mountains while being chased by ferocious, hungry dogs. I could go back and read my posts, but I'd rather not see all the errors I've made while writing through the brain fog that develops after a 60 mike ride. Whatever the reason, if you're going to ride, be prepared for occasional or possibly frequent disappointment. Today, I am disappointed. 

After setting up and waterproofing camp in Cadillac last night (a big storm was expected, and it didn't disappoint), I spent a sleepless night in part due to the storm and cold, but mostly because of pain. 
The%20tarp%20kept%20us%20dru

The truth is, I don't know what it's like to ride a bike without pain. Shoulder and hand and neck problems have made most long-ish rides very uncomfortable, testing my endurance at times. We have made adjustments to my bicycle so that riding long distance might not be so difficult, but there is always pain. The falls I took last week while practicing riding with clipless pedals exacerbated the problems, so there I was, awake all night. 
After talking it over with David this morning, we agreed to change our plans and make this an assisted ride. I'll drive the truck ahead and set up camp, riding shorter distances on my bike where  I can, and David will ride alone between campsites, unhindered by a heavy trailer behind his bike. 
Yeah, I'm disappointed,but when it was cold and rainy and windy this morning, I was thankful it wasn't going to be a ridiculously rough day on the road. 
We drove to Traverse City instead of riding and set up camp with a cushy new air mattress in the tent. Then David bought me a cookie at my favorite TC bakery and made me feel better. On the bright side, I will still get to enjoy some bike riding without the pressure of how many miles there are to go. And hopefully I'll heal up enough soon to take on those harder paths again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment