Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Equally Meaningful - by David

Alex gets the fire pit ready on the last evening of camping
So I haven't updated on the blog since the initial post to start it. I've had some ideas along the way, but literally have not had time to put them down. Something I did not anticipate was the amount of time it would take to unpack and repack all of the items needed for camping. Because we have been on the move, this happened daily. Then there was the running to the store, making fire, cooking, cleaning, and I should mention the riding.

The riding...this trip was supposed to be about the ride and the destination. We planned about 750 miles of riding and camping, with one day set aside for travelling exclusively by car. I have to say that Robin and I have both expressed disappointment that we did not get in the miles we thought we would get. I got a stomach bug, too much rain fell, and a day that started out with optimism of a completed ride ended with consecutive flat tires that took us out for the day only 20 miles in. Things could have gone better.

Instead, this trip has become something else, to me, anyway. The family time has been incredible. Most of the little things in life that normally distract us are not here. We start our day together, spend out day together, and end it the same way. We have enjoyed each other's company, worked through some unexpected difficulties, and supported each other. Emily and Alex have experienced a new level of responsibility and independence that they earned and enjoyed. I'm so proud of both of them!
One-eyed Emily cuts fresh green beans for dinner

The destination is still part of the trip, and starts tomorrow when we arrive in Rhode Island. We've talked with several people about the places they like to visit, and we will surely have a great time. One of the first stops is to Emily's dream college, Brown. Thinking about how soon she will be leaving for college has me appreciating this time all the more.

I can't rinse off the beans in the river with everyone watching
Listening to the sound of the water flow down the river next to our camp makes me want to stay for another night, but the destination is calling a little too loudly now.

3 comments:

  1. There's been a lot of great conversation along the way. If only I could've recorded it somehow as we've gone along, we'd have several weird movie ideas for Alex to work on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sharing your trip with us. I hope you took many more pictures. I am proud of all of you. I've done a lot of biking over the years, but nothing like you've done. You are DA FAMILY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green beans washed in the river...? Not so appetizing :o But the trip continues to sound great even with all of the unexpected challenges.
    Enjoy that visit to Brown.

    ReplyDelete