Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Shouldn't we be on bicycles? - by Robin

In the rain and thunder on day one
After I dunno how many nights in tents, we've given up camping and settled into a hotel just outside Providence.  I thought this would come as a relief, but as it turns out, it feels a bit congested and confining.  I won't miss being kept awake by heavy rain drops pattering on canvas and the constant worry that pools of water might be gathering beneath our air mattresses (yes, we camp as spoiled as people in a tent can do) or suitcases or whatever else the kids may have scattered around the tent floor. 

We chose to use this day to regroup: get all the camping gear packed up as tightly and neatly as possible, settle into a room, finish up washing the lingering laundry piles, and make a game plan for the rest of the trip. The original plan was to ride into Providence today on bicycles, but with the heat and hills David and the kids faced yesterday and the meticulous packing job we had to do, it was best we pack well and drive it.  And so we did, but it doesn't feel right not to be cycling again.

Somewhere back in Massachusetts when David and I rode together the other day (days and towns are all a blur), we happened upon a bike shop and had some work done on David's rear derailer (he's ready to buy a new bike after this trip), and the owner mentioned the East Bay Bike Trail out here in Providence.  We looked it up today. It's all paved and 14.5 miles long.  Awesome.  We don't have to stop riding just because we've arrived here. 




That's my sweetheart, leading the way
Tomorrow we'll visit Brown University so that Emily can take a tour and get some information.  Then maybe we'll head out to Newport to check out the mansions.  But Friday we're back on the bikes.  We've already located parking so we can start at one end of the trail, ride to the opposite end, have lunch, and ride back.  29 miles on a trail is cake. We'll still have time for sightseeing after we come back to the room to clean ourselves up and become presentable to the public again.  I can't believe I'm saying it, but even after those hellacious hills, I'd rather be riding than sitting in a hotel room, watching television, surfing the internet... any of those mundane activities that get in the way of the simplicity of fresh air, focus on a clear, physical goal, and problem solving with the closest people I'll ever have in my life.

Speaking of those people, I've often thought about it, but I haven't expressed yet in writing how much I truly appreciate the patient, easy-going man I married 20 years ago.  Walking through a typical grocery store, it's pretty easy to see that there are families who couldn't tackle the sort of challenges this bike trip has sprung upon us without a lot of conflict and bad feelings.  Mine can do it, and I have to give a lot of credit to David.  I don't care how many times his tire could go flat in a day; this man doesn't lose his temper, but works through problems in a way that makes me proud that my children have such a great role model.  He's the best! To celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary (which I mentioned several blog posts back was June 22) we're kicking around several ideas. One of those is to take another bike trip together this summer.  We'll see if it works out, but I can tell you, there's no one I'd rather travel with.

It's hard for siblings to fight on bikes
So, although it's been hard to put on the brakes this afternoon, I wandered out to the pool to read a book (just started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society) and forced myself to slow it all down. There will be several days of  great family time ahead, and happily more miles to cycle.  Maybe there'll be some good chocolate milk as well. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh you will love that book, I predict! And I know exactly what to stock the fridge with for your return!! So glad you're enjoying your time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siblings fighting on bikes? Not really that hard
    just reach over and give a good side kick! haha JK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ephraim:

    Upon your return to the water-winter wonderland, I shall spring for the chocolate moo! Keep riding and writing!

    Amos

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying the book so far, MJ! No need to stock anything before we return. We are the ones who owe YOU for caring for the homestead and stinky dog. Chop, I could actually see Alex doing that. Amos, I'm always up for chocolate moo. I'm glad I have a reason to write, even if it's off the cuff and unrevised.

    ReplyDelete