Sunday, June 26, 2011

Hey, we're still in New York!

Bad spelers of the world untie! 
Okay, I was wrong about several things in my last post.  We didn't actually go through the Adirondacks.  We went south of them, but this is still hilly country, and I'd hate going up the hills here even if they are good for my heart and lungs.  We're closer to the Catskills now in Austerlitz, NY.  On the one hand, it's breathtaking to ride through the rolling hills here... in a truck.  On the other hand, it's going to be severely breathtaking riding through those same hills on a bicycle.  But I think we'll have good weather.  I only wish that hills counted at least double for calories burned.  That would be fair. 

I was also wrong about where we were headed next.  One more night in NY state and then off to Massachusetts in the morning by bicycle.  Emily will drive next, and I have a feeling she'll be glad.  She and I were still complaining today about having to WALK up hills.  "Ohhhh... not another hill... gahhhh...."  What a couple babies.  After Mass comes Connecticut, and then Rhode Island. 

Tonight we're at a lovely campground that has a lot of rules.  Alex didn't understand how it was even possible to ride bicycles no faster than 5 mph.  We are getting much more efficient at tearing down and putting up the tent.  I suggested to David that maybe in RI we should continue to look for campgrounds to save $$ on hotel rooms.  The children would just wet themselves for joy, I'm certain. 

David's going over all the Google Bike Map directions to check for problems now to make sure tomorrow is another successful ride.  We've decided that the people who create Google Bike Maps are probably the same as the people who create mini-golf courses.  "Drive through the windmill blade....run into the wall... continue along the bottom of Lake Erie for about 400 feet..."  We actually had directions the other day that told us to turn left after 26 feet on a road.  It took us into a parking lot.  Awesome. 

Alex's favorite job - deflating the air mattresses...
Back in the saddle tomorrow.  Still stiff and sore from yesterday.  It'll be perfect. :)

New campground tonight - Alex explores the pond behind our site.

7 comments:

  1. Just think when your done with this adventure you can sign up for the triathlon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah!, I figured it out. Anyway, as I was saying, I haven't been following your blog/trip, but I am now, and I'm addicted. You're such a nerd; but I love you. And I'm envious that you are so close to your family. And I cannot even ride a bike at the store; oh, I tried to climb on one, and me and the bike fell over. Something 'bout balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No thanks, Uncle Mike! I won't even be able to move. Tammy, I love you too. Why would you ride a bike in a store? Get a three wheeler and hit the road, woman! :) Glad you're a nerd too. Otherwise you wouldn't be here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ephraim:

    After running 3 miles last night, I thought about you and the crew so I climbed on my bike and rode for another 3 miles...you inspiration, you!

    Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go, Amos! And you didn't even break any electric Amish laws, I'll bet. Keep pedaling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the comments! Too darn funny!

    ReplyDelete