Thursday, June 23, 2011

Mudluscious - by Robin

The only good thing about McDonald's is free WiFi.  Well, and the apple pie I just had for dessert wasn't too shabby either. We're here mainly to double check our bike routes.  Google bike maps has proven to lead us astray every day, so David's going over each map through Yahoo to make corrections.  Map my ride didn't work for him, sadly. 

A rainbow...but not necessarily a promise of better weather.
We got back on the road today after a side trip to Niagara Falls yesterday and after two nights of strong storms, two days of an extremely muddy camp site, and too many puddles in the tent.  We're tired of being damp and muddy and were very happy to leave Angola, NY. We ditched the google bike maps after not finding a couple roads that weren't really there, and we navigated using an area map we'd received at the last campground. Google wanted us to ride into downtown Buffalo.  I had a bad attitude today.  I refused to ride a bike in downtown Buffalo.  David, Alex, and I managed to ride 44 miles today before the sky darkened once again.  We pulled over and found shelter just before the downpour, and there we waited for Emily to rescue us.  The new camp site was almost as mud-puddly when we arrived as the last was when we left it, and the tent has fresh pools in it already.  Emily assures us it was really nice earlier today, and I have no reason to doubt her. 

Tomorrow I drive, and there's an 80% chance of rain.  I wonder how long it will be before I have to rescue David and Emily (I think Alex is riding with me to set up next camp). 

We're beginning to see more cyclists traveling through the campgrounds, and I have to say there are quite a variety.  The people we've seen are hard-core cyclists.  You can recognize them by their lean build and the fact that they have a million side-packs all over their bikes.  We're not hard core.  I mentioned to David today that we're more like The Incredibles after they'd let themselves go and tried to squeeze back into their superhero spandex.  That's us.  We saw an older couple at the camp yesterday - lean and mean and packing all on their bikes.  I looked at David and said, "We're never doing that."  I was relieved to hear him say, "Don't worry.  I don't want to."  That works for me. 

Check it out, Amos!  It's a boy!
One last note.  I missed another photo op with a woman's sandal on the road today.  It wasn't safe to stop.  But I did manage to snap a couple shots of a baby shoe along the way.  For your enjoyment, even youthful soles can get lost. 

2 comments:

  1. Ephraim you have topped me! I have NEVER seen a baby shoe on the highways and byways. It's a new sighting and a wonderful one at that. Thanks for the pic and safe travels to y'all. I look forward to your next posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time for me, too, Amos. Keeping my eyes open. Hope you're having fun farting around.

    ReplyDelete