Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sidetracks...


Stomach viruses and cycling don't mix. Therefore, we have taken some unexpected time off. West Branch State Park in Ravenna, OH, is absolutely gorgeous, clean, well-kept, and has fabulous facilities all the way around, so another night there seemed like a good idea for those of us with gurgling stomachs. We found civilization on the second day and took the kids out to lunch and to the movies.
West Branch State Park also has very bold raccoons that I am disappointed to say eluded our camera. One made its way into our camp several times. First when I was calling my parents to get the phone number of our next campground, and several times later after it had been frightened away by Alex, who was hoping for a chance to use the pepper spray while Emily was attempting to capture the excitement with a camera that wasn't working. Raccoons we couldn't see were fighting in the woods off the back of the camp site, and although all of our belongings were packed away for the night either in the tent or the truck, at least one critter could be heard visiting again in the middle of the night as we tried to sleep. Although I awoke to find the truck still in place, David and I agreed that if raccoons ever learned to get along, they could probably team up and steal our vehicle and its contents.
We drove today to our day 8 destination, where we plan to spend two nights. Tomorrow (Wednesday, the 22nd) is our 20th wedding anniversary, and we'll take a side trip to Niagara Falls. Thursday, we'll resume biking. Hopefully by then, all will be feeling well again. Although I knew after the day of big hills (Did I mention that Alex reached 41 mph and Emily reached 40 going down one hill without pedaling? I was too freaked out not to use the brakes and only made it up to 35.) my legs could probably use the rest, but I find myself anxious to get back on the bike. Four days off seems like a lot on a trip like this. It's hard sometimes, but it's a lot more satisfying when you're pedaling. Crossing my fingers for good weather, tail winds, and directions that make sense for a change.
BTW, for my sole-obsessed friends out there, I missed an opportunity to photograph a lady's sandal sitting alone in the road the other day – the peleton had left me far behind, and I couldn't stop for a picture. But I have managed to capture the images of a Harley Davidson hat in the middle of the road, and a random sock in a parking lot. I'll continue looking for lost soles as I ride.

5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you've had to contend with stomach bugs. Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think U guys are having way too much fun. Happy Anniversary .... You know the coins were only helping you celebrate the happy event. €;~}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a bunch! We had a nice anniversary at the falls yesterday. At least the raccoons weren't like... raccoon-a-saurs, like those who dwell at Pokagon and tormented David and Alex and stole their marshmallows, as they have done to man for centuries... All are feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hats? Socks? We don't want no stinkin' accoutrements...we need soles!

    P.S. Happy anniversary and The Electric Amish hope you all are feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete